Volume II Plate 20 - The Colossi of Memnon ~ These two colossal statues (about 70 feet high) of the deified Amenophis III once flanked the entrance at the pharaoh's mortuary temple. Eventually, the temple was completely destroyed, ruined first by flood waters then earthquakes, and later cannibalized for its stone. Both statues were also damaged, and now lack their faces and tall royal crowns.
In its day, this temple complex was the largest and most opulent in Egypt, encompassing over 4.2 million square feet. The Colossi statues are believed to have been sculpted and placed circa 1400 B.C.